Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Count down...

Tomorrow is December, 2010 another year coming to a close.  I recall yesterday being October.  What happened??
I think of all the things I photographed this year, and all the things I missed out on.  So much I miss because I am still working full time and part time.  It is frustrating at times, but until things with the business begin to consistently bring in a check that pays the bills, I give thanks.
I spoke to a woman yesterday who is employed but her employer has cut her hours to 20 hours a week.  Her husband is on disability and her children (two girls, 12 and 16) have been informed there will be no gifts this year.  It breaks my heart.  Even though I didn't want to get out of bed this morning, I did give thanks to have a job.
My job can be frustrating.  I deal with people who are straight up assholes.  I also deal with people who are sick and do not feel good, and many have not felt good for a long time.  There are also those who are entitled, or so they think and therefore, they treat me (and all the other staff in my dept) like we are nothing.  I had a doctor call today and demand I give her a dept phone number or transfer me to this dept at a particular hospital.  I did not have the number to give, and despite that she was being a bitch, I was actually trying to help her.  Then she finally snapped and said, "WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THE NUMBER, AREN'T YOU THE OPERATOR?"  I calmly responded, "No, I am not the switchboard, nor am I the operator, I am a scheduler".  She snapped, "FINE" and hung up.
I also deal with offices who have staff who are rude and burnt out.  Often they do not know the correct information when it comes to scheduling your appointment.  Don't think that is a problem??  Well, let's just give you an example of the problem that can occur:

Let's say you need a CT, the doctors office wants to schedule you because you need it, and the receptionist wants to schedule it to get you off her desk.  Instead of asking the doctor the correct information (with or without contrast) she just schedules you without.  Well, let's say you need your insurance company to precert this procedure.  Because she doesn't want to add another task to her busy day, she nonchalantly decides to say it is not required.  You go have your test, you needed a precert, and now you have a bill of over $2,000.00

Another situation - you need a MRI, the office schedules a CT. The doctor receives your results to discover his staff used a stamp to sign his name and scheduled you for the wrong thing.  You now get to take another day off from work to get your MRI.  Because your insurance company just paid for one expensive procedure, they won't pay for another - in the mail you receive a bill for over $2,000.00.

I do try to help those who call in, I do try my best to put the patients best interest first.  But, after 8 hours of being bitched at, being snapped at, being treated like crap and like a door mat, my patience also run thin.  I don't feel I deserve to be treated poorly by a doctor or a staff member of a doctor's office, just because they feel they can.  I completely understand automated systems you encounter at companies.
I am thankful for those who call in who are nice, who are patient, who actually have a little fun in their voice, but mostly-those who are organized and prepared for the call they are to make.
I don't appreciate those who call in who want specifics on the spelling of my name. DO NOT ask for my employee ID - this was suggested on a website article to guarantee you can receive good customer service.  I am not allowed to give out my employee ID to a fellow employee, I promise you, you will not be able to get it from me.  You ask for specifics on my name, I automatically will assume you want to get me into trouble.  I had one patient who said I was pleasant and nice and thank you for helping me.  I got a phone call the next day from my manager,  that same exact patient told the tech at the hospital, that I tried to convince her to go to a competitor hospital.  Wtf?!

On days when I have the opportunity to do my photography, to be in a studio, to work in photoshop (to wear jeans not because of a reward, but because it can be my daily attire) I find myself at ease, and even happy.
I feel there are signs from time to time that God is directing me towards a career and a life as a photographer.  Wouldn't you know it, self doubt likes to come into the picture and mess with that confidence building that He is doing.  I just have to believe - believe in a dream. 
Its interesting - when I was younger I fully believed; If you can Dream it You can Achieve It.  Now, as I am older, call it fear or insecurity...it is causing me to face a struggle.
I just pray God will continue to open doors of opportunity and show me the way.


As the light shines behind the clouds above, I have to believe God will shine a light on me and guide me down the path to my dreams and to a successful career.

No comments: