Thursday, January 9, 2014

Supporting local High School Music Program

I love that middle Tennessee is filled with schools which have music programs.  Something incredibly dear to my heart are the string orchestra classes, for several reasons...one, due to the work I once was doing I was fortunate to be blessed with opportunities to be face to face with string teachers and students in the local programs.  Two, I play the fiddle and love string music.  Three, I was blessed with piano lessons growing up, and anyone who has an interest in music gives me energy to support them so they have the opportunity to play music too.  Four...well, I could go on and on about my passion about music, paying it forward, etc.
Ok, so I was fortunate to implement a practice challenge with a local string program.  To my surprise THREE students finished this challenge, which consisted of: practice three hours a week for three months.  I put together prizes that added up to over $1,000.00 for these kids, which included a donated photography package, strings, music stand and other great opportunities to support their playing.
Here I am with the three kids at the school after I presented them with their prizes.

The arts are important and ALWAYS the first to get cut when it comes to educational budgets.  You will be able to participate in arts your entire life, however, sports often have limitations due to injuries and age.  Support the arts, it will be the best and most rewarding thing you will ever do.

No comments: