Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pondering.....

I have been debating over what the specifics of my goal will be. Do I end with an exhibit? If I have an exhibit, how do I choose my images, and how many do I use? Do I pick one a month, two a month, should I have people vote on them...but who out there is actually reading this and following this project? Do I make this a one year project or a two year project? Maybe develop a calendar? A series of postcards? Should I do a PAD the first year and continue into the business the second year as my business grows....I hope it grows. *sigh* It seems overwhelming, probably because it is overwhelming. There seems to be almost too many options, but it is good to have options.

The internet is definitely hindering me, I will be finding coffee shops, local businesses and other locations to utilize the internet until I can find another place to reside which will have the net. I am hoping, possibly, to finally check my e-mail this evening. If that is the case, then I will post the first PAD...I know I want to try and take pictures which will be current. However, I am really excited about some of my stuff I've taken over the past twenty months. I would like to share it.
It isn't easy starting a business in photography, the biggest joke I have discovered which is shared in the community of photographers is:
What is the difference between a photographer and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four.

Grrrrrrrreeeaat...that's exciting! Oy!
So...with the hopes that tonight will be the first posting of my PAD...then let's get into my goals.
I want to run a successful photography business. I want to coordinate and market photography workshops, I want to write a book and have it published, and I want my photography to improve by doing a PAD. I hope to have a studio one day, and travel with my photography and writing. I want my hobbies to be incorporated into my writing; scuba diving and caving.

So getting set up to run a business; I had this really awesome "how to" book, but some how in the first house I lived in here in Nashville it magically dissppeared. The "start your own business" books tell you to have space for an office. Considering that consists of having a two bedroom house or apt....three bedroom if you need a roommate, and I live in a one bedroom situation well, my office isn't an office. My desk is boxes stacked up on top of each other. I do, thanks to Michelle in the photo club, have an office chair that I like quite a bit. No real room for any type of filing system...so I make due with folders, binders, and such to keep things in place. My supply drawer or closet is (can you guess) a box! I guess we all have to start somewhere, and that is where I am at currently. I can't say it works well, but it is something-which is better than nothing. Afterall, a year ago, I didn't even have a computer. This is it folks the basics of starting a business in photography, at least for me. An industry which techology constantly changes, standards are being raised, and that "one chance" just slipped by us to get that photo that "could have" put us on the map.
Many people are willing to give their images away for free for "photo credit". Photo credit won't even pay for that pizza which will feed that family of four. I am still trying to find my way in which area of photography I want to be in; landscape, sport, fashion, advertising, weddings, portraits, stock. Many options-and part of me feels I don't need to decide today-thank goodness.
So...I continue onward, I'm possibly having my laptop looked at this evening. Otherwise I am going to be starting tonight with a project which is bigger than me.
To get me to where I am going; I turn to those who inspire me. I am inspired by Julie Powell, Annie Liebovitz, Maddonna (she never apologies for what she does or who she is-I admire her confidence). This list includes many photographers, professional and hobbyists who belong to the three photo clubs I belong to, who are wonderful supporters. People who are so modest they wouldn't even want their names listed. Plus, I would be concerned I would forget someone if I tried to list everyone. I have learned from them and they are a phone call away for advice. I think that is also important in this business, networking, actually, that is the case in any business.

No comments: